The Most Overlooked Report for Your Google AdWords Campaigns
It never ceases to amaze me how many organizations are merrily running Google AdWords campaigns without taking full advantage of the built-in reporting capabilities. We recently helped a few clients optimize their AdWords performance, and while their businesses were targeting very different audiences, they had oneÂ thing in common: they had NEVER looked at the Google AdWords Report Center beyond the basic keyword performance report. Aaargh…
Easily the most useful report in the Report Center:
- The Search Query Performance Report: It shows you the actual keyword queries that triggered your ads, rather than ‘just’ your keyword buys.Â This is particularly useful when your campaign contains the infamous ‘broad’ match keyword types.Â You’d be amazed at the actual queries that triggered your ads.Â The insight is dramatic
- Identify negative keywords (free, shareware,…)
- Identify high performing keyword phrases and create new ad groups for them.
- Refine your keyword buys with additional match types and corresponding focused text ads.
Of course, there are a few caveats:
- Some search queries can’t be identified ‘x unique queries’ may have triggered your ads. Simply filter them out of your analysis
- Don’t forget your other reports: Placement performance (if you run content ads) etc.
The Google AdWords program continues to be one of the most effective drivers of targeted traffic and leads.Â However, make sure you don’t waste your money on irrelevant clicks!